Henderson, TN asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Tennessee

Q: Will my brother go to jail if he hits me he is about to turn 18 and I was wondering. If I call the cops

I'm 14 years old and I wa wondering if my old brother beats on me and punches me and makes me bleed he is my half brother by the way and I want wondering if he could go to jail he is almost 18 under a couple of months.So can he go to jail if I call the cops?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. William Ray Glasgow
Mr. William Ray Glasgow
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Memphis, TN

A: You need to tell an adult what is happening. IF your parents won't listen, tell a teacher, or coach, an adult at church, or the parent of a friend. Yes, you can call the police and if they find you have been beaten they will likely take action now. There is no reason to wait until he is 18. You also need to know if you file a false report with the police and are simply trying to get him in trouble, you could get yourself in trouble as well. You can also call the Department of Children's Services and report the abuse to them. Report Child Abuse: 877-237-0004 -or TN.Gov on the computer.

But please do talk to an adult before you do anything else. You need a responsible adult to help solve this problem, and hopefully, you can do it without involving the police.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.