Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: I and my husband divorced. Him and I made a agreement that we will have the kids one week on one week off....

Him and I talked about me moving out of town . When it came time and I moved he got upset and is now taking me to court.... What can I do.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Edwards
Michael Edwards
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: It depends on if this agreement on placement was part of the initial divorce proceeding. In other words, if you incorporated this agreement in writing as part of the divorce proceedings and the court accepted this, then it is a court order and he is obliged to follow it. However, if for some reason he decides that he does not like this arrangement anymore, he can go to court to request a post judgment modification of that order. That does not necessarily mean he will get what he wants in his motion but if this is the case, it is best to show up to court to tell them why there is no legitimate reason as to why he should get any of the changes he is asking for.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.