Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Wisconsin Divorce Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Divorce and Business Law for Wisconsin on

Q: After 35 years of marriage my parents are going through a divorce that's very complicated due to owning many businesses.

These businesses are supported financially by the others during the off season. They have a substantial amount of debt that is personal and the businesses. My father wants to file bankruptcy right away before trying to sell assets and my mother does not agree with him. He wants to keep one business... Read more »

Timothy Denison answered on Oct 20, 2018

This is such a complex question with so many variables that it is impossible to properly answer here. It depends on whose name and how assets and liabilities are held as to what the proper action. Each can file separately if necessary, but generally speaking both parties are best served by filing... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Wisconsin on

Q: Were can I find legal aid in manitowoc Wisconsin for divorce and custody and support payments my husband took it all

I have no access to bank account because he never added me and put our house only in his name and us emotionally abusive and was at times physical abusive I have no access to funds he took everything away from me would not let me wrk because he didnt want to loose state insurance or food stamps... Read more »

T. J. Jesky answered on Sep 12, 2018

Try contacting: Calumet/Manitowoc Public Defender Office, 933 South 8th Street, Ste. 102 Manitowoc, WI 54220-4534, Phone: 920-683-4690

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Wisconsin on

Q: My husband and I have been married for 23 years he filed for divorce he makes $68,000 p/yr

I have been unemployed for three years do to us moving around because of him changing jobs all the time I do not have a college education he does. He also has taken all the money out of our joint account and opened up his own account. He has left me penniless and our lease was just up September 1st... Read more »

T. J. Jesky answered on Sep 12, 2018

With 23 years of marriage, you are entitled to more to a hefty divorce package. First, you are still entitled to all of the money he took out of the joint account. Since you are still married, he is required to pay for your essentials, e.g., housing, food, healthcare, etc.

Don't worry if...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and International Law for Wisconsin on

Q: Got married in Italy, trying to get a divorce and solve child support issues. International lawyer needed

Richard Sternberg answered on Apr 4, 2018

I don't mind the work, but I'm willing to bet before interviewing and researching it that the non-custodial spouse is in a country that is a signatory of the Hague Convention. You need a lawyer in the jurisdiction where the custodial parent and the children live. The child support formula of that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Divorce for Wisconsin on

Q: Awarded house in divorce, no $ owed to ex. Cannot get them to sign Quit Claim Deed. Can judge sign deed in ex's place?

Cannot locate ex, already had pretrial, tried to serve ex. judge suggested I get legal advice to see if he can legally sign so i can get my ex's name off the deed

William F Sulton Esq. answered on Mar 3, 2018

Your question is unclear. If you have an order awarding the house to you, you do not need the ex to sign. You can simply extinguish the ex’s interest and have another deed recorded on the property.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Divorce for Wisconsin on

Q: I inherited an antique car from my grandfather. In Wisconsin,is this even considered property to split?

Sallie Leigh Rubenzer answered on Mar 1, 2018

It is not. In Wisconsin gifted and inherited property is not included as divisible marital property.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Wisconsin on

Q: What papers do I file to get a OFP added to my divorce?

I filed an OFP against my husband for my preteen daughter. This was denied by the courts due to lack of evidence. But the judge told me to get it added in the divorce. I need this for myself and my three children as my husband refuses to leave us alone. All three children are from a previous... Read more »

David Kowalski answered on Jan 18, 2018

It is possible to obtain a sort of "no contact" order in the divorce, but it is somewhat different than a restraining order. I recommend that you speak with a divorce lawyer to ensure the statements added to your divorce judgment accomplish what you wish.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Wisconsin on

Q: what can I do if my wife will not give me the taxes from the last 3 years as I have requested for our divorce

David Kowalski answered on Sep 2, 2017

You can request the information through the formal discovery process, which is written questions and requests for documents that your wife must answer and provide. You may also request that the judge order her to provide them to you if you have a conference in the near future.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Wisconsin on

Q: In Wisconsin can you get a divorce while pregnant

Michael Edwards answered on Aug 23, 2017

Under Wisconsin law, if one of the parties is pregnant during the divorce, the divorce cannot be finalized until the child is born.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Wisconsin on

Q: I live in Wisconsin. Been married almost 9 yrs, and getting a divorce. What I'm I entitled to as far as our house?

When we bought the house, It was in his name only because my credit wasn't great. I recently was told by a friend that I'm entitled to half of what the house is worth. Our court date is in 3 days. What should i do?

Michael Edwards answered on Aug 23, 2017

There are many factors that play into this decision. Your friend is partially correct since Wisconsin is a marital property state meaning that the default assumption is that marital property will be divided equally among the parties. However, there are a number of factors that may cause the court... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Child Support for Wisconsin on

Q: Will child support increase if I get a new job with higher compensation?

The mother and I are on good terms and have not reviewed or modified the CS order since 2011. We split everything.

Michael Edwards answered on Aug 22, 2017

Child support will not automatically increase if you get a new job with higher pay. There would be a higher chance of that child support amount increasing if mother decides she wants to go through with a review of the child support or if she files a motion stating she would like to have that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Wisconsin on

Q: My question (s) are about my girlfriends divorce which is contentious to say the least. To detailed for the amount of s.

My main question is if living with my girlfriend in her marital home can effect the financial outcome when the final decree is ordered by the judge?

Michael Edwards answered on Jun 22, 2017

I don't believe this would make much of a difference in the final judgment of divorce. The only potential ways it could make any sort of difference might be with regard to child support payments or maintenance payments. Other than that, it really shouldn't make much of a difference that you are... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Wisconsin on

Q: I and my husband divorced. Him and I made a agreement that we will have the kids one week on one week off....

Him and I talked about me moving out of town . When it came time and I moved he got upset and is now taking me to court.... What can I do.

Michael Edwards answered on Jun 12, 2017

It depends on if this agreement on placement was part of the initial divorce proceeding. In other words, if you incorporated this agreement in writing as part of the divorce proceedings and the court accepted this, then it is a court order and he is obliged to follow it. However, if for some reason... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Wisconsin on

Q: I have not yet been served divorce papers yet I see online a hearing date set...why? I reside in wisconsin.

Adam Studnicki answered on Aug 4, 2015

Seek legal counsel immediately. Failure to answer a lawsuit may result in a default judgment.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is general information that is given for legal education only. It is not legal advice, and...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Wisconsin on

Q: My next court case for divorce is to be a trial what does that mean?

Jeff Hughes answered on Oct 28, 2013

It is very, very rare to go all the way to trial in a divorce case. If you are at this step, basically it means you and your spouse will appear before a judge, there is no jury. What this means is the judge will decide what happens with all unresolved marital property based on evidence and witness... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Wisconsin on

Q: How do we separate bills before a divorce is final?

Nick Passe answered on Feb 13, 2012

You should get a temporary order in the divorce. The temporary order tells the parties what the rules will be during the divorce process. You can get a temporary order either through a hearing where you argue about one or more issues or through a stipulation document if you are able to reach a... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.