Fort Richardson, AK asked in Military Law for Alaska

Q: Army : Transfer from Active duty to Reserve

I'm active duty in the Army and I have been in for about 9 months. I just found out that my father has a kidney failure with 20% GFR (Glomerular Filtration Rate) and he just had a heart attack recently. I was thinking about switching to the Reserve or National Guard so that I can be close to home to take care of my father. So would it be possible that I could switch from active duty to national guard or reserve while I am still in contract (4 year contract in my case)? I really need to go back home.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: You can ask, but you don't have a legal right to do so, if that's what you are asking.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.