Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Military Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Alaska Military Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Military Law and Probate for Alaska on
Q: I wasn't told until about a year ago that my dad passed away. Am I still entitled because I was not informed

It was held information from me about my Dad's passing. And I've been going through a lot of stress lately and haven't been able to deal with it and I have TBI so it's hard to deal with anyway. What can I do about this I don't have the money for a lawyer who do I contact... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Nov 7, 2023

If you were not informed of your father's passing, you might still be entitled to a portion of his estate or benefits, especially as an only child. Your first step should be to obtain a copy of the death certificate and any will or estate documents. Contact the probate court in the area where... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Military Law for Alaska on
Q: HOA is fining me for having a damaged vehicle and bins out for less than 2 weeks, I'm deployed and can't do anything.

A friend of mine is watching my house, and was waiting on a new tire to fix their truck. I had mentioned to her that I had gotten an email from HOA to fix these issues, I had reached back out to the HOA after the fact to let them know what was going on. 10 days later, they fined me for both the... View More

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Mar 23, 2023

As you may know, the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act may be applicable. See:

50 U.S. Code § 3952 may very well apply to your situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Alaska on
Q: Army : Transfer from Active duty to Reserve

I'm active duty in the Army and I have been in for about 9 months. I just found out that my father has a kidney failure with 20% GFR (Glomerular Filtration Rate) and he just had a heart attack recently. I was thinking about switching to the Reserve or National Guard so that I can be close to... View More

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Jun 25, 2017

You can ask, but you don't have a legal right to do so, if that's what you are asking.

1 Answer | Asked in Military Law for Alaska on
Q: If my roommate has military orders to leave the state. shes on the lease is the lease void
William E. Scully Jr.
William E. Scully Jr.
answered on May 13, 2014

The lease is not void. She can, however, get out of the lease. She has to provide the proper notice to the landlord, and she has to provide copies of the military orders. This, however, does not necessarily get YOU out of the lease. Check your written lease and see if there is a provision in it... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.