Bartlett, IL asked in Traffic Tickets for West Virginia

Q: What is the best way to fight a out of state traffic ticket?

About two weeks ago my father was involved in a minor out of state accident in WV during a merge lane situation. His semi truck trailer was hit by a passanger vehicle when the motorist tried to get ahead of him and clipped his trailer at about the halfway point. Initially when the parties pulled over the driver and passenger of the passenger car apologized since she technically at that point should have yielded to the semi. However when the police showed up, their story changed and my father was given an "Unsafe Lane Change 17c.7-9" ticket. My dad takes the onroad safety and driving record seriously so for him to get ticketed is a pretty big deal. What is the best way to fight this ticket remotely? This occured in Mercer County,WV. Thank you in advance!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brandon K. Davis
Brandon K. Davis
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Waukegan, IL

A: You should contact an attorney in the county in WV where this accident occurred to discuss representation for your father. Due to his CDL privileges, it is important that the offense does not end up on his record. An attorney may be able to fight the ticket or attempt to have it amended to a non-moving violation. Ideally, the attorney would appear your father's behalf. However, only a local attorney is going to be able to discuss specific options. Best of luck!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.