Holland, MI asked in Child Support for Colorado

Q: Does the court automatically discharge support once a child turns 19? Or is there something that I have to do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Carolyn Moller Duncan
Carolyn Moller Duncan
  • Centennial, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Good morning,

That depends on how many children you are paying support. If you have only one child, then it automatically terminates upon reaching age 19 unless it meets limited exceptions to go beyond that age.

If you are paying support for more than one child, then it does not automatically terminate unless there is very specific language indicating that there is a set amount paid just for this child, however I do not see that language very often.

So if there is more than one child, you will have to do a modification of child support to reduce the remaining support for the other child.

If I can assist you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Carolyn Duncan,

Carolyn Moller Duncan, P.C.

7899 S. Lincoln Court, Suite 207

Littleton, Colorado 80122

Phone No. 303-2358

Email: carolyn@duncanlegal.com

John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If there is only one child, support will automatically terminate at age 19 and you do not need to do anything. However, if there is more than 1 child, the support obligation does not automatically change upon a child reaching age 19. There can be a new calculation of the support amount. That requires filing a motion to modify support. However, it does not go down proportionally. For example, if it is $1000 for 2 children, it is not $500 for 1 child. The new calculation will be based on the parties current incomes. Sometimes, that might result in an increase in the support amount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.