Garfield, NJ asked in Bankruptcy, Civil Litigation and Collections for New Jersey

Q: Got a letter from the court saying they want to revive a judgment from 19 years ago also asking for wage garnishment.

Do I need a lawyer. they won by default, I didn't even know about it until now. also at the time was living with my father who had the same name at same address , its posible he got letter from them.

Can I ask to vacate judgement .

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes, you can. It will require a motion. You need to demonstrate a defense and lack of service.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.