Erie, CO asked in Trademark for Colorado

Q: What does Status 641--non-final action--mailed mean for a trademark?

My lawyer, Thomas P. Howard, filed my trademark Big Picture Purpose last year. Paid him in full. I emailed him and called. Phone disconnected. Haven't heard back. I found information online regarding my trademark, and I don't know how to move forward. How do I get in touch with trademark people to let them know? How do I move forward?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Walker Weitzel
Walker Weitzel
  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA

A: Unless you choose to handle this yourself, you will need a lawyer to handle the prosecution of your trademark application. Application prosecution is the process of responding to objections and rejections by the trademark office. A non-final action means that there is something about the application that needs to be addressed by you or your lawyer. Many lawyers (myself included) offer free initial consultations. I would recommend speaking with a lawyer to discuss the specifics of your case to figure out how to move forward.

As an aside- it is unfortunate that your lawyer is now unavailable. He should have contacted you with a referral both out of curtesy and possibly ethical reasons. He should also have informed you that prosecution would likely follow application, and that there would likely be additional cost on top of the initial application. With that said, I don't want you to feel like he took the money and ran. Almost all lawyers charge separately for application and prosecution. I hope this helps, and best of luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.