Holland, MI asked in Child Support for Colorado

Q: Will my last support payment be prorated? Will the court notify me what my last payment will be?

My son turns 19 on 9/05/19, I assume that I won't make a full months payment for the last one. Is that true?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Carolyn Moller Duncan
Carolyn Moller Duncan
  • Centennial, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The court is not going to notify you of the amount of your last payment. You need to be proactive and communicate with the child's mother that you intend to pro rate the amount so there are no surprises. If there is an income assignment, you need to be proactive with that as well so your employer will not continue to take money from your check.

Carolyn Duncan

Carolyn Moller Duncan, P.C.

7899 S. Lincoln Court, Suite 207

Littleton, Colorado 80122

Phone No: 303-394-2358

Email: carolyn@duncanlegal.com

Stephen J. Plog
Stephen J. Plog pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The court will not notify you when your child support stops. Generally, statute indicates that support stops the month after a child turns 19. Thus, if your payment for September is due in September, the duty would end after September and there would be no October payment. Child Support is not prorated. If you are paying through a wage assignment, meaning being garnished, you may need to take action to ensure that stops when your child turns 19.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.