Oakland, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: My friend received a letter from District attorneys office for PC 484(A) from Frys. What are his options? He do

My fried. Was charged with a PC 484(A) in 2009. He wasnt charged until 2012. He did 10days work project. His record was expunged dec 2015.

He was at frys and forgot to pay for an item in his cart. The LP stopped him and stated " I had my eyes on you since you walked in the store" mind you he paid for the others items. LP took him to the back room filed a police report and sent him off. They told him he could never shop with them again.

He received a civil demand in the mail but he said an attorney told him not to pay it so he didn't. He got a letter in the mail 2 days ago from the districts attorney office stating that there is a warrant for his arrest and he has a bail of $2000. To come and make a court date.

Will he be charged if so wouldbit be a misdemeanor or a felony?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sergio H. Benavides
Sergio H. Benavides
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Leandro, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It is likely a misdemeanor. The civil demand--whether it is paid or not--will have zero effect on a criminal case thru the District Attorney's office. The case may be defendible, but you won't know until you consult with a knowledgeable, experienced criminal defense attorney. Contact a few in your area, and hire he one you like and trust.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.