Odenton, MD asked in Child Custody for Virginia

Q: Hello! I have joint custody of my son with his father which lives in MD, Read below... What should I do next???

My 11yr old son was beaten by his father that claims it was a spanking! My son called me and told me of everything that took place, I also have pictures of my son injuries. Charles Cty State Attorney charge him with four abuse and assult charges, I have letters and video of my son crying and having dreams of his father hurting him. But MD seem to not take this too serious because of their law about physical beating. My son doesn't not want to live or see his dad! I have had protection orders etc. DSS also spoke with my son and he told him what his Dad did! Can I file for Sole custody in Caroline Cty where my custody order was granted in 2013. Can the Judge order for his Dad to stay away from him and us till we have a hearing? What should I do????

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Jeremiah Seck
Michael Jeremiah Seck
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Leesburg, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: The corporal punishment issues will arise in Virginia and Maryland. However, you can always file for a modification of custody in Virginia provided certain elements are met. You should contact an experienced family law attorney to help you though these complex matters. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance. Thanks. Mike.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.