Houston, TX asked in DUI / DWI for Texas

Q: I was convicted of my 2nd DWI in Texas Sept. 2015. How do I get my license reinstated?

I took the time. Sentenced to 180, did 90 Harris County. There was no probation or alcohol education associated with the conviction. I'm now finally back on my feet and need a dl and vehicle for my next promotion to better support my family. I haven't paid a dime on my surcharges but looked up my " eligibility" and I see CANCELLED then 1. Interlock release order signed by judge OR 2.Copy of order showing ending date of interlock requirement OR 3.Interlock fee for restricted license. Is this just some boilerplate restriction that is going to force me to the court house for documentation stating I don't need interlock? Or does this only appear if I misread my conviction and actually do need interlock?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Deborah Ann Bankhead
Deborah Ann Bankhead
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: When you take jail time for a DWI-REP case, there should be a license suspension. Even if the Judge does not place it on your Judgement and Sentence, DPS can. Depending upon when your last DWI was, this could also be a "hard suspension" meaning you cannot obtain an Occupational License. Regardless, Interlock is required. You will either need a restricted license with Interlock requirement provided, or an order from a Judge saying Interlock is not required. Contact a local DWI attorney for assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.