Asked in Banking, Consumer Law and Probate for Kansas

Q: What is the law regarding a decreased person and a car note, when the bank fails to get the car for almost 2 years?

My father passed away almost two years ago. He left a car with a loan on it and the bank has failed to get it. They have set on my mother's property fore almost 2 years now. Is there anything that we can do to take ownership of the car, or file something against the bank for storage fees?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: There are appropriate procedures to transfer ownership of the vehicle and to quiet title to the vehicle. How to proceed would depend on the assets involved and the value of the assets involved. If the bank perfected its security interest in the car by recording a lien on the car title, that liability needs to be determined and, if enforceable, repaid. You should consult with an attorney to determine the steps necessary to complete the transfer and determine the amount truly owing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.