Capitol Heights, MD asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Employment Discrimination for Virginia

Q: Where do I file if I live in Maryland, but the personal injury occurred in VA?

In 2015 I was unjustly suspended, denied reasonable accommodation, went through depression, and still having mental issues, because the union never let me see an arbitrator, and just settled the case, but the settlement specifically states that the lump sum payment was for the denial of light duties; what about the unjust suspension?I’m wanting to sue the Post Office in a civil case, but there’s a discrepancy about which state to file in, seeing as I live in MD, I was working in VA at the time, and the Post Office itself is Nationwide. I know it’s untimely for the discrimination claim, but the statute of limitations in VA for cicl cases is 2 years, meaning I have til November to present my case. As it relates to the Discovery of Harm, I’m just now comping to grips with the fact that me ever recouping anything from the Post Office, by going through all those administrative remedies will leave me indefinitely confined to a mental hospital, because nothing I do to try and let it go works.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: I assume you have provided your federal tort claims act notice and received the notice that they will not be resolving it.

I believe you may file in Maryland but they may ask that it be transfered to virginia. You should get a consultation from an attorney that specializes in Post Offcie cases --if there isn't one in Baltimore, there probably is one in DC. Look under the Md. Assn for Justice or the Trial Lawyers Assn Metro District of Columbia who handles post office cases or at least employment cases. If they are dubious, you may want to consider letting it go. Spending a year getting beat up in Federal Court won't be an emotionally or otherwise rewarding experience.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.