Branson, MO asked in DUI / DWI for Texas

Q: My boyfriend got a DWI in comal county over 25 months ago. He has a breathalyzer, he

Gets it calibrated every month. He checks in religiously with the bail bondsman. The DA won't provide any discovery to the attorney. He can't get answers and they are calling him in for a plea next month. What are his rights for a speedy trial? How can they prosecute when they won't provide the discovery. The probation office couldn't even find his info when he traded his truck in. The entire situation is crazy. What are his rights and what can he do to get this dismissed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anna Summersett
Anna Summersett
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This sounds like a difficult situation. You will want to make sure your attorney has made a timely request for discovery under Article 39.14 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. Upon such request the State must provide discovery as soon as practicable. You can learn more about the Michael Morton Act and what discovery is required by reading this article Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.