Milwaukee, WI asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Defense and Personal Injury for Wisconsin

Q: What to do after receiving personal injury summons for judgment of money, following car accident?

In February 2017, I was at - fault for a minor car accident with no damages, or visible/declared injuries. I exchanged personal & insurance information with other driver, but no police accident report filed. The other driver later filed a personal injury claim with my (then) insurance company. Upon investigation, my insurance determined there was no personal injury, or damage caused by accident. Now (June 2017), I received a court summons from other party and attorney for money judgment >$5,000 for personal injury, which I have to respond to with written answer (chapter 802 wi stat), within 45 days.

(I cannot afford lawsuit/judgment, or attorney, nor was the accident severe enough that it I feel it should even be going to these lengths).

What do I do now?

Also, What/how do I need to prepare requested response of written answer to summons received?

And, what could be likely/possible outcome of lawsuit attempt, considering my insurance had already determined no damage/injuries?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: You had insurance and this is what it is for. They will hire you an attorney. Fax and SEND THEM THE SUMMONS, phone them, keep a copy for yourself. DO NOT REPRESENT YOURSELF!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.