Mentor, OH asked in Adoption for Ohio

Q: If I want my significant other to adopt my son, how doesn't that work & how to I get things going?

My sons biological father hasn't been in the picture for 10 months now, & even when he was in the picture it was barely. My current boyfriend & I have been together since I was 5 months pregnant and he supports my son mentally, emotionally, & financially. The biological father has a history of being abusive, having a drug addiction, manipulative, & quite dangerous at times. I truly believe him being around me or my son would be dangerous. & I document everything, I keep a journal, I have pictures, videos, screenshots, police reports, etc. It it matters he is also not on the birth certificate.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
R. Scott Patterson
R. Scott Patterson
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Zanesville, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: This adoption is not going to happen unless you are married to the man you want to adopt your child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.