Branford, CT asked in Probate for Connecticut

Q: Father died 6 weeks before mother died. Probate never started since the fathers death cert wasn't done yet. Who files?

Mother had to wait for my step-fathers death cert, since it was pending toxicology report, to enter Probate. But then writers mother died 6 weeks later while Probate wasn't started for stepfather yet. Now, who starts the Probate process? The biological son of the mother is the Executor of her will, but obviously the mother was the executor of the husbands will. Does the biological son of the mother (mom's Executor) now have to handle both or can the next of kin (biological daughter to husband) handle the fathers probate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicole M. Camporeale
Nicole M. Camporeale
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Newtown, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Executor (son) should file to open mom's estate. Since my has now died, the back-up Executor for dad's estate should file to open his estate. If there is no back up then the Executor of Mom's estate could make the filing as well. However, this may require more information to give a complete and accurate answer. I recommend setting up a meeting with a local probate attorney who can assess the situation and determine the best course of action at that point.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.