Santa Cruz, CA asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: Is there a way my family can adopt my friend or take care of her till she's of age?

My 16 year old friend is suffering badly from her family's mental abuse. She has been very depressed and has taked about suicide before. I've managed to talk to her and I've always been there for her when she needed to. But lately things have been getting more complicated. I'm moving school and for some reason her mother doesn't allow her to see me. So it's harder and harder to help her. She even told me ahe wants to run away from home. All i want for her is to be happy. She deserves that much.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in California

A: She can report abuse and neglect to CPS and the police. She can file for emancipation or seek foster parents if her parents' parental rights are terminated. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.