Richmond, VA asked in Immigration Law for Virginia

Q: My wife came here on a j1 can she leave her program and move states when we get the Green Card Reciept in 10-14 days?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juan V. Cervantes
Juan V. Cervantes
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Fredericksburg, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Your question is not sufficiently detailed. Because she's on a J-1, she may be subject to the foreign residency requirement. If this is the case, she will need a waiver.

The procedures for an immigrant petition and a J-1 waiver are complicated. I recommend that you seek the advice of an experienced immigration attorney to increase your chances of success.

Additionally, if you are planning on moving, make sure you update your address with USCIS.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.