Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Virginia Immigration Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law and Tax Law for Virginia on
Q: Amending previous returns status from single to married to Non Resident Alien, no SSN or ITIN back then.

I am a US resident and have been mistakenly filing taxes under Single, I know now that I should have been using the Married status eventhough my then husband lived abroad and had NEVER been to the US and had no income tied to the US. He never got an ITIN and I saw that I could have used the mention... Read more »

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 15, 2021

You coulda mend prit tax returns with your CPA or accountant. In terms of discussing your foreign national spouse ssn and other issues a comprehensive legal review is necessary with an attorney of your selection.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: I have question related to my fiance visa. I would like to know if there is a way to faster the process

My case currently is at uscis

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury answered on Aug 6, 2021

It is possible to request to "expedite" your petitioner but there are limited basis to do so. See here:

If you try to make the request, I would recommend hiring an attorney to help you give it the best try.

Best wishes!

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: I am in US and my husband's immigration process was in progress when I decided to cancel it because of some differences.

I need to know if the process can be resumed or if there is any way to bring it back in progress.

Kind regards

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury answered on May 24, 2021

More information is needed to answer this question. What "process" and what did you do to "cancel" it. It would be best for you to do a consultation with an immigration attorney. Best wishes!

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: What category of eligibility do I apply for N400?

I received my Green card back in Feb 2017 when by mom married my stepdad and I was entered into the paperwork before I turned 18. Now I want to apply for naturalization, but on the USCIS site there are few choices and I'm not sure which one I fall under.

I know it has to be either:... Read more »

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury answered on May 4, 2021

If you mom is still married to your step dad, she can apply for naturalization after 3 years. But unless your mom became a citizen before you turned 18, you will be eligible for naturalization once you have been a permanent resident for 5 years or more. You cannot apply until 90-days before the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: My mother is going to be a resident alien through the US Embassy in Bogota, use form I-824 for husband and child blw21.

I am a US Citizen and I petitioned my mother. Her husband is not my father and they married after I was 21 and she has 3 children under 21 (my siblings). Can my mother use form I-824 Follow to join to petition her husband and children under 21?or does my mother need to submit form I-130?

Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on Apr 3, 2021

As a permanent resident, your mother will need to file a relative petition on behalf of her spouse.

An experienced immigration attorney can provide you with personalized guidance to avoid delays with this case matter.

6 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Immigration Law, Admiralty / Maritime and Health Care Law for Virginia on
Q: Would it be accurate to say that any attorney who passes the bar exam know about client confidentiality?
Mr. Chad Van Horn
Mr. Chad Van Horn answered on Apr 1, 2021

The answer should be yes, but unfortunately, there is a chance that an attorney that passed the bar isn't well versed in client confidentiality.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: How long does it take to hear from USCIS after you start the naturalization process?

I attended U.S. universities and currently working through the Optional Practical Training - OPT. However, I don’t have much left and my fiancé suggested that we should just get married so I won’t have to worry about my status in the country. I’m worried about the time it would take to USCIS... Read more »

Nareshwar Singh Virdi
Nareshwar Singh Virdi answered on Feb 18, 2021

I will start with a word of caution: Marrying a US citizen with an intent of getting immigration can have adverse consequences. In terms of the generic timeline, Employment authorization can take few months in processing. I usually recommend my clients to keep at least 6-months.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: Will a pending divorce cause issues when reentering the country as a permanent resident who has its 10 year card?

After various attempts on fixing our marriage we decided it was broken and divorce is the best thing for us. Will this cause me any issues?

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Dec 25, 2020

Attorneys often have concerns about ‘when’ a client will return once they have to take care of a sick relative. What starts as three weeks and last three, five, ten months or over a year. This can eventually bring into question whether a person’s permanent residence is located in the United... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: Visa case status was changed from refused to ready but interview was weeks ago.

Hello. My husband had his immigrant visa interview at the us embassy in the Bahamas. His case was refused for administrative processing. He was asked to send his passport to the embassy a few weeks later and now his case status is updated to ready. What does this mean as he already had his... Read more »

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Dec 1, 2020

It is not possible to advise you for sure. However, when the passport is requested it is usually so that the visa can be placed in the passport. Were arrangements made for returning the passport or picking it up at the consulate?

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: I have approved I-140, and now filing I-485 for me and spouse. My question. Do I need to file I-864 for my spouse?

I am an employee of the petitioning company with no stake in it. I am super confused about I-864. My employer is asking me to file I-864 for my wife, but I am not fully sure. Any help/clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Oct 8, 2020

If doing the work yourself you need to read the instructions very carefully. Yes. An I-864 needs to be filed with each I-485.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: Can we put the A# on H4 EAD approval notice in place of A# asked on I-485 and I-693 forms, for a derivative applicant?

My I-140 was approved in April 2019. My filing date became current for the month of October 2020. I am filing I-485 for myself and my spouse (who is currently on H4 with approved EAD). I am currently on H1-B status. I have the following questions regarding filing for AOS, and it would be great if... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Oct 6, 2020

1. Yes.

2. Put the one from the I-140 on the form itself, but add any additional A#s to an addendum or extra info page.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: I have 10 years green card got it through marriage but divorced after 2 years after of green card apply for citizenship

I'm a permanent resident and got divorced 2 years after getting my 10 years green card. I got my green card through my husband and also have a child after marriage.

But now i am divorced and separated.

I will apply for naturalization after completing 5 years residency but a... Read more »

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Jul 22, 2020

Based on the inforrmation you have provided you may apply for your naturalization.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Civil Rights for Virginia on
Q: are you willing to consult me with crcl/dhs matter?so i need to send a statement letter from DHS/CRCL office.

a response has been made for my complaint matter by DHS/CRCL in june 11 20,they referred me to a lawyer to consult.

Ify Princess Ikeakanam
Ify Princess Ikeakanam answered on Jun 17, 2020

Hello, give me a call today, I would like to know more about this issue and can possibly help you.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: How do I find that my wife might had used my identity without my concern to file a I-130 and I-864 for her mother?

I am a US citizen and my wife is a naturalized US citizen from Philippines. My wife never had a stable job or good credit history. I have a stable job with US military and good credit history. My wife and I are not in good terms for a while started our divorce process now. She has several... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Jun 2, 2020

You can't. It is your wife's I-130 petition, not yours. That said, it seems like you should divorce her.

Note, If you never signed the I-864a or I-864 form, then you certainly have a defense. Your wife may have even secured a different joint sponsor for her mom. In general, the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: Good Day, I am permenent resident in US. How can I bring my 16 years old sister into the US?
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on May 22, 2020

Even if you were a US citizen it would take many many years. First get your citizenship and then file.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: if an immigrant has children born in the US and they hit the immigrant does the immigrant qualify for visa?

my mother is suffering from domestic violence from my sister does she qualify for visa?

Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on May 1, 2020

Domestic violence is a “qualifying” crime for U visa eligibility. In your case, the incident must first be reported to the police and a police report must be generated. Afterwards a “certification” must be requested from the police. Once the “certification” is issued then the FORM I-918... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: My friend new green card came in He's abroad but because of Covid-19 he can't come back now the extension expires in May

Will there be any problems re-entering the U.S.?

Robert Roy Klein
Robert Roy Klein answered on Apr 14, 2020

He'll need the green card that came in. Also, it depends on what country he's returning from. Some countries are blocked, while others will require a 2 week self-quarantine.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: can I used same i130 to refile 485 that’s been denied in 2014

I have an approved i130 since 2012 ,but my 485 was denied because the dhs asked for certified disposition for two cases which they got dismissed and the sponsor didn’t meet the standards, and now I have to go for master hearing in front of judge cuz ice put me in removal proceedings, I would like... Read more »

Svetlana Kats
Svetlana Kats answered on Mar 6, 2020

Yes, you can use previously approved I-130 in Court. Just ask judge to schedule your adjustment of status hearing and submit your previously approved I-130 petition together with the documents showing that you are still married to the petitioner and your marriage is bona file. You will also need to... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: Can my daughter marry a young man who is here under daca and has been for 15 years?

My daughter has been dating a young man who is a daca participant. He’s from Guatemala. He has no criminal record. He graduated from high school and is now 20 I’m concerned about their future is there a path to citizenship? Would they be safe to marry?

Deron Edward Smallcomb
Deron Edward Smallcomb answered on Feb 27, 2020

Your daughter is free to marry anyone she chooses. The question is, what benefits are available to her fiance once married? This situation should be discussed, in detail, with an experienced immigration attorney.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: Does a valid advance parole allow you to enter the U.S. without a valid I-20?

I am an F1 international student who has applied for marriage-based green card. I am set to receive my advance parole soon and I intend to go abroad over the summer. My I-20 expires in May, and the earliest I can get another one from my new school is in July. My f1 expires next year. If I travel... Read more »

Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on Feb 24, 2020

The advance parole document issued by USCIS will allow you to present yourself at a U.S. port of entry to request entry and admission to the U.S.

CBP will assess at that time if you are admissible to the U.S.

The FORM I-20 may be immaterial if you are not seeking entry as an F-1 visa holder.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.