Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law for Illinois

Q: I have a past criminal record and served time in IDOC. and did 2 years parole without incident. I incurred fines.

And restitution.. I missed a court date because of transportation issues but called to inform the court my ride fell through.. the judge issued a warrant and I was arrested resulting in the loss of 1 job and loss of an interview for a better job. Now my girlfriend and I are being pulled over for minor traffic offenses and then turning it in to a search of our vehicle and long and drawn out detainment which resulted in the police finding nothing and letting us go home.. is this considered harassment? Should I hire a lawyer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Donald J. Ramsell
Donald J. Ramsell pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Wheaton, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It is illegal to search a car without your consent or without a warrant, unless there is probable cause or you are under arrest.

Cheryl Powell agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.