Kalamazoo, MI asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Michigan

Q: I have an Italian friend online who wants to meet. Will she have trouble getting into the US to stay with me?

We have never met in person before. She is a college student. She would be staying at my house with my family. The stay will be about 60 days then she will return to Italy to get back to her college studies.

2 Lawyer Answers
Juan V. Cervantes
Juan V. Cervantes
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Fredericksburg, VA

A: So long as she can prove she intends to maintain her foreign residence, it should not be a problem.

If you want to ensure that she arrives in the US without a hitch, contact an immigration attorney so they can guide you and her through the process.

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Potomac, MD

A: I find the IATA website to be easy access for the visa requirements from each country. <https://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_website_client.cgi?SpecData=1&VISA=&page=visa&NA=IT&AR=00&PASSTYPES=PASS&DE=US&selDest=USA&selTrans=Use+ctrl-key+to+select+or+deselect+transit+point%28s%29+above&user=OLYMPIC&subuser=OLYMPICB2C> I believe you can obtain a 90-day tourist visa upon entry with a valid Italian passport that will not expire during the visit and a valid return ticket. But, read the Homeland Security web site or the IATA site, or contact the US Embassy in Italy and consider applying for an ESTA visa if the visits will be more frequent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.