Decatur, AL asked in Bankruptcy and Tax Law for Alabama

Q: If I file for bankruptcy in alabama am I still libel for taxes if I did not specifically dissolve the S-Corp

I filed bankruptcy in 2010 and the Morgan County court placed the business in Bankruptcy in 2011. I thought I had it worked out but went ahead and filed dissolution a couple of months ago. Now the state has notified me that I am libel for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. I don't have the money to pay at $250 a pop. Further, when I was in business, I showed a loss almost every year.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael Gil III
Rafael Gil III
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Dothan, AL

A: If the S-corp filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy back in 2011. It, in essence, dissolves the company. I would contact the State of Alabama Dept of Revenue and provide them with paperwork that shows that the corporation filed for bankruptcy prior to those years and that it did not conduct any business during that time period as well!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.