Asked in Immigration Law and Civil Rights for Illinois

Q: How do i get my boyfriend back into the U.S long term after he has received a 10 year ban?

Long story short. My boyfriend was born in the Czech Republic and brought to the U.S when he was 3. He grew up in the U.S and went to back to Czech once (not by choice) when he was 17. He reentered the U.S when he was 18 on a 90 day esta. And being young and dumb overstayed it by 2 years. We both moved to the Czech Republic after those two years hoping to figure out his legal situation. He was approved for another 90 day esta 3 months later and we tried to fly back home to the U.S. He was detained and deported at the Ohare airport. And given a 10 year ban. So now we are both currently back in the Czech republic and we desperately want to go home. What do we do? Where do we start? We have been told to apply for a non immigrant visa and then once back in the U.S try to find a way to have him stay long term, but this does not seem promising and we would like to do this process as honestly and legally as possible. (I am a U.S citizen.)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew J Hartnett
Matthew J Hartnett
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Collingswood, NJ

A: I would consider sitting down with an immigration attorney to discuss all of your options. You have some options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.