Geneseo, IL asked in Criminal Law for Illinois

Q: I and My husband hve possible neglect charges. no charges have been filed yet.How long do we have before charges filed

We have a 22 yr old disabled daughter who was sick, we took her to the hospital and the state filed neglect charges against us, because of bed sores and they said she was too thin. We have a protection order against us, and we do not know if she is ok, they also took our 18r old son and put him in state care, he too has a disability though slight. ( but he was not sick or in harm in anyway). The state police told us they would be filing against us, a case worker told us the same thing, but the main case worker will not talk to us because of the restraining order. This all happened July 7th. We have not yet been charged with anything. But I can not find a Lawyer to talk to us. How long before they come for us? How does all this work? Will we get Jail time? Please help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Donald J. Ramsell
Donald J. Ramsell pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Wheaton, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Yes you will need a lawyer familiar with both DCFS and the criminal courts - two different entities by the way. Do NOT give any statements to the case worker UNTIL you have hired a lawyer. This is serious.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.