Kemp, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Can a parent sign consent for her you 14 yr old dating a 17 yr old?

My son is 17 and likes a 14 yr old. I do not condone it and know how this can end if thw little girl gets bitter. Her mom sneaks her daughter around to meet up with my son. She says she will sign consent and have ib writing she would not press charges. I try to explain to my son that would'nt hold up in court and only his future would be destroyed! He will be 18 in 6 months and I have feeling he will move in with her! Please help enlighten him.. Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benson Varghese
Benson Varghese pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: No. A parent cannot give consent for the 14-year-old, nor can the 14-year-old give consent to sexual contact.

For indecency with a child, there is an affirmative defense if the actor is no more than three years older than the victim. A similar provision exists for sexual assault. However, remember an affirmative defense means you can raise the defense in court. It won't prevent an arrest or a case being filed. Hiring an attorney and bonding out after an arrest are both expensive propositions.

To learn more about the age of consent in Texas:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.