Fort Worth, TX asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: My husband is deceased and I have utility checks in his name I can't cash. What can I do at this point?

2 Lawyer Answers

Tyler R. Barrett

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Hi,

First and foremost, I am sorry for your loss. Regarding your question, probate is typically necessary anytime someone dies owning property in only their name. Oklahoma has procedures for summary administration and small estate affidavits, both of which are generally less costly than normal probate. However, specific requirements must be met. Regardless, it make not make sense to do anything if the checks at issue are small amounts. I recommend talking with a probate attorney.

Gary Johnston Dean

  • Pryor, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If you have joint bank accounts, simply deposit them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.