Atlanta, GA asked in Civil Rights, Landlord - Tenant, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Georgia

Q: I am a tenant renting a house for over 2 years now landlord did not pay taxes on property for 3 years and house is up

For sale in Morrow Georgia what legal advice will you give me I have 5 kids and just received this letter from the sheriff office on my door when someone purchase the house at the auction do I have time to look for another place for me and my five kids least 30 to 90 days to be exact

1 Lawyer Answer
William C. Head
William C. Head
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sandy Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Wow, what a mess. The answer is that you will need to deal with the new owner, which may be the bank. But, whoever buys the home has the right to evict you, so try to locate and speak to that person about your dilemma. You may be permitted, at least in the short term, to pay rent and stay a while. Go to the auction, so that you know immediately who the owner is.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.