Lawrenceville, GA asked in Personal Injury, Wrongful Death, Elder Law and Medical Malpractice for Georgia

Q: If my siblings and I suspect abuse of our father before his death, will we be able to file a lawsuit?

My dad died 2/20/16 shoulder or arm was fractured in 3 places. When transported to first hospital x-ray was done and see there was a fracture that was about 20 days old. My uncle and his son states that they don't know how it was fractured. After the first hospital told my uncle that it wasn't anything else they could do for him, he was transported to a nursing facililty for a swing bed. My siblings and I suspect abuse from my uncle and his son. What type of case can we file if it has been over a year since my dad's death?

1 Lawyer Answer
William C. Head
William C. Head PRO label
  • Sandy Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You may not be able to get any lawyer to file suit. The statute of limitations is 2 years. But, with not forensic proof or doctor who saw him to say their fault, you likely lose.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.