Anchorage, AK asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Alaska

Q: Hi. My i recently told my ex-gf to move out, and that our daughter stays with me in a stable household.

I had no intent to keep our daughter from her, and she knew that. But, when i let her take her for a walk the day after, she didnt come back. She took off and his from me and now is in another city. She filed for custody and child support. Is this legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: Yes, it is completely legal. Until you get a custody order, you both have equal custodial rights. Hiding from you isn't a good thing, but since she filed for custody, you now have her address and a forum for determining how to arrange custody between the two of you. If you ask for it, the court will normally order equally shared custody until a final determination can be made. If spending half the time with your ex isn't safe, you can ask the court for primary custody, with your ex getting visits that are arranged to be safe. Getting such an order requires pretty strong evidence, though. The best thing would be for you and your ex to work things out with a mediator. (The court may be able to provide one free of charge if you can't afford one. )

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.