Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Alaska Child Support Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Alaska on

Q: Hi, I’m 18 and I was wondering if I could collect the child support money and put it into my bank account?

I have not been living with neither of my parents for the past 14 years. I’ve been living with my biological moms friend who I consider my mother now and was wondering if I could collect the child support money and place it into her bank account or mine.

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on May 22, 2018

Child support is not owed to the child, but to the custodian. The person with whom you are living could possibly seek child support from your parents.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Alaska on

Q: What happens to the back child support when the custodian parents dies and the child is over 18

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Apr 16, 2018

The past-due child support debt is a part of the deceased custodian's estate.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Alaska on

Q: Can I request sole custody and not get child support? I don't want any money I can take care of us myself.

Stefan Otterson answered on Apr 6, 2018

Whenever the court issues a child custody order, they issue a child support order. That part you can't get around, even by agreement, unless you are in a truly unique situation so that it wouldn't be reasonable to apply the normal rules. Just being able to take care of things yourself wouldn't... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Alaska on

Q: Is there a higher child support calculation if the non-custodial parent moves across country reducing his visitaation?

Not only did he move but he wuit his job taking a lower pay job and cancelled his Christmas visit.

Stefan Otterson answered on Nov 27, 2017

When you say non-custodial, it sounds as if you have primary custody (70% or more custody time). In that case, the other parent's visitation percentage does not change the support calculation (it's the same between 70 and 100% of the time). If the other parent wants the child support amount... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Alaska on

Q: Hi, I was wondering if I have to pay child support if I was the person who work for my children needs before the divorce

So before divorce I always work for my family needs especially for my children needs. But my marriage couldn't go anymore, before that I move here to relax my mind and told my wife to bring the kids here. But she start dating another man. So I couldn't continue this marriage. Before the marriage... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Nov 11, 2017

Yes, either party to your marriage can sue for divorce, including child custody and child support. The non-custodial parent will be ordered to pay child support to the custodial parent.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Child Support for Alaska on

Q: My Ex had financial trouble lost her house in Nassau and send the kids back for a year to me. Do I pay for that yea

Stefan Otterson answered on Sep 3, 2017

I assume you're wondering about child support. That goes based on your court custody order, and it doesn't change until you get it modified by the court. If you don't have a court order, you may be able to do the modification through CSSD, if they're involved. The key point is that there's no... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Alaska on

Q: Hi. My i recently told my ex-gf to move out, and that our daughter stays with me in a stable household.

I had no intent to keep our daughter from her, and she knew that. But, when i let her take her for a walk the day after, she didnt come back. She took off and his from me and now is in another city. She filed for custody and child support. Is this legal?

Stefan Otterson answered on Jul 27, 2017

Yes, it is completely legal. Until you get a custody order, you both have equal custodial rights. Hiding from you isn't a good thing, but since she filed for custody, you now have her address and a forum for determining how to arrange custody between the two of you. If you ask for it, the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Divorce for Alaska on

Q: husband required to provide support while pregnant?

He left, I filed, never served him, I wish to reconcile, he hired a lawyer, refuses to communicate with me at all, I'm 4 months pregnant, he emptied the bank accounts, turned off my credit card. I just need to know if he has a legal obligation to support me or is is just a moral obligation until I... Read more »

Stefan Otterson answered on Aug 23, 2016

Child support doesn't start until the child is born. The duty to support starts at birth, even without a court order. In the mean time, you can file a motion asking the court to order short-term spousal support, and if it's an emergency, you can ask the court to expedite your request. However,... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.