Newark, NJ asked in Workers' Compensation for Virginia

Q: Signed a waiver for medical attention. In pain hurting can i file workers comp & go to dr they cover bill

Fell on concrete floor a band got wrapped around my ankle i went down hard. Worked a few hours couldn't anymore. They just gave me Tylenol didn't take an incident report. I signed a waiver refusing medical attention at the time. Can i get workers comp? Can i go to the hospital & they be responsible for thehospital bill? My knees are killing me hurts to walk. I was trying to just ride it out.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: If you injured yourself at work due to a band having wrapped around your ankle, then that sounds like a compensable injury at work. You did not help yourself by refusing medical attention. You need to get medical attention as soon as possible to document your injury. You should first request this from the employer. If they will not authorize it, then you have to do it on your own and hope eventually the employer's WC Insurance Company will have to pay for it. You can call the Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission for information on filing a Claim For Benefits. That number is 1-877-664-2566. You can request the Commission to send you the Attending Physician Report form. You will need to take this form to a doctor to have it filled out to document your injury.

It is important to take action immediately. The longer you wait the harder it will be for the doctor to connect your injury to your accident..

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.