Burton, MI asked in Contracts and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Michigan

Q: What happens if my late husband sold a patent, and it has recently transferred into Ford's name?

My husband passed just prior to the transfer of the patent. How do I obtain information regarding the payout from the patent? We'd already set up an account for the deposit, but I will need to redo the paperwork as time has passed since the initial setup.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Moorestown, NJ

A: My condolences to your husband's passing. I can't even imagine what you must be going through.

With regards to your question, at this point, the patent is simply a personal asset as much as a car, an art collection, or a business. This is no longer a question for patent attorneys, but for attorneys who specialize in the administration of estates. Thus, you should turn to your estate attorney or probate attorney.

Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.