Salem, OR asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Oregon

Q: How to get my kids back from social services?

My boyfriend's brother girlfriend and mother have been trying to get our kids taken since we got here they finally succeed when I tried everything to keep my kids healthy and failed to the point she almost died not even medical professionals would help us help her. We had two ER visits one because the umbilical cord area got infected and the second was when I cut a nail and got her finger the doctors said she was healthy WIC kept telling us she's healthy we tried everything we could on our own to help her be healthy and in the end that didn't matter we have been labeled bad parents and a danger to them even with every formula we tried we even tried baby food to get her the nutrients she needed that was the only thing that worked finally we found a formula that works but in the end it didn't matter we were deceived by hospital staff and the social worker saying she would be coming home to us that day the social worker took my oldest and told me we were a danger to them

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: The social worker involved in the case will lay out a plan that you absolutely have to follow if you want your children back. You will be entitled to a court appointed lawyer when the matter is heard in the juvenile case which it should be shortly. But following the plan you are given is what you need to do. Also if the plan involves dealing with a substance abuse problem that they think you have, then you have to do the treatment they request you to do. I can't tell if that is an issue in your case but I mention it because often times a person with a substance abuse problem gets into this type of situation abut will never admit that they have a substance abuse problem when they describe the problem to a lawyer. It is always how unfair the State workers are being and how to get the children back without any acknowledgement that there could be a problem that the parents need to address.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.