Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Oregon Juvenile Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: i saw the runaway laws when ur 17 the law cant do anything? In oregon

Joanne Reisman answered on Sep 8, 2019

You are a minor under your parents custody and care until you are age 18. Running away isn't a crime but it is a situation that is a safety concern for the minor child so the authorities can intervene and take the juvenile into protective care. That said, sometimes older children end up living... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Juvenile Law and Libel & Slander for Oregon on

Q: My 18 year old daughter pierced my 12 year old daughters' nose. She is not licensed or in school. What can I do?

She picked her up from a friend's house and hid her from me, and has been instrumental in the kidnapping and coercion of her, which the nose piercing is evidence of.

Gary Kollin answered on May 31, 2019

Press charges and maybe she can go to jail

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: I recently ranaway, but my family took my dog and went to txs. I thought they were gonna keep him, but they gave him awa

My cps worker decided to give him away and It wasnt his dog to give away and i was not consulted about this before it happened, is there any legal action I can take. Or anyway I can try to get him back, plz this dog means the world to me

Joanne Reisman answered on Apr 7, 2019

There isn't an easy answer that someone can give you on the internet after just reading a short statement. On the one hand, if you have proof of ownership you might still have rights. On the other hand if you abandoned your dog that might amount to animal neglect and your family or your CPS... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: Will they take my baby away if she tests positive for THC when I give birth?

I’m 16, and 30wks pregnant. I Smoked until about 28wks.

Daniel DiCicco answered on Jan 2, 2019

No, they won't take the baby away. You will also very likely test clean by the time you give birth.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: what are our options?

me and my wife were assaulted by our oldest duaghter who is 16. we have a total of 4 kids including her 2 of which have special needs who witnessed the incident and traumatized by it. we called 911 police came and refused to arrest our daughter even though there was clear marks on both my wife and... Read more »

Joanne Reisman answered on Aug 3, 2018

If your daughter is a minor in your custody you have the legal right to commit her for a psychiatric evaluation or to put her in some type of institution that works with problem children. You would have to figure out how to pay for these services. Your health insurance might cover the psychiatric... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: I am 18 and on probation . I want to move in with my girlfriend. My probation does not specifically say I can't move?

My probation does not specifically say I must stay with My foster parents.

Joanne Reisman answered on Jan 26, 2018

I don't know what your legal question is. You either can or can't move in with your girlfriend. Sounds like you should get clarification from either your criminal defense attorney or from whoever is supervising your probation. Remember that your terms of probation can be changed. The purpose of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: I am a minor in Oregon enrolled in a program to start college full time. Can my parents legally stop me from going?

Program is called Baker Early College. I am 16.

My parents do not agree with me going, I just want to know if they can legally stop me.

Joanne Reisman answered on Jan 14, 2018

Legally your parents are your guardians until you turn 18. Once you turn 18 you can do whatever you want. Along with being your guardians your parents provide you with a place to live and financial support and it is extremely important to hae this financial assistance if you want to stay in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: i am 16 and my mom emotionally abuses me has for year can i runaway to my older sisters with out her getting in trouble

my mom has emotionally abused me for years and use to hit us on the head. kicked by big sister out when she was 15 and i am now 16 and cant deal with it anymore i suffer from depression and anxiety and i have wanted to kill my self. can i runway to my older sisters and not have her get in trouble

Joanne Reisman answered on Oct 24, 2017

If your sister is an adult, she can Petition to be your guardian. She should consult with an attorney about this. Otherwise if your sister or any other adult tries to take you from your mother (even if you want to go), they can be charged with custodial interference.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: What are a 15 year Olds rights when it comes to property I have purchased when she refuses to be in the home?

Mother and father live in home. No custody issues.

Joanne Reisman answered on Oct 22, 2017

I'm sorry but I don't understand what your question is about. Could you please repost with a little more details about the situation so we know what you are asking?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: Do you take personal injury cases due to the State of Oregon DHS's wrongful taking of children/falsely accusing parents

Basically I'm asking if you take cases involving lawsuits against the State of Oregon?

Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Oct 18, 2017

I don't, and attorney's cannot solict your business here anyway. You will have to search one out.

Also, note that suing a government agency means filing a tort claim notice within 180 days of the incident, so if that has not happened, that needs to be done quickly.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Juvenile Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon on

Q: Can my 15 year old grandson move his 18 year old girlfriend in to my home without asking me

Can i kick her out

Joanne Reisman answered on Oct 13, 2017

He can try but you ultimately get to decide who can be in your house. This assumes that your grandson is not a "renter" as defined by Oregon's landlord tenant law. I don't do landlord tenant law so if you might want to consult with a landlord tenant lawyer to see if your grandson has rights that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: In oregon is it legal to carry a multitool with a knife in my pocket

i live in portland oregon and like to go out. On walks, to the taco bell with friends, hikes, lots of things. I am 15 and I bought a multitool. It has a fire starter, seatbelt cutter, glass smasher, flashlight, etc. but the biggest question is the knife it has. The knife is 3.5 inches long, about... Read more »

Brandon C. Foy answered on Oct 8, 2017

Oregon’s carrying concealed weapons law (ORS 166.240) makes it a Class B misdemeanor to carry concealed on your person:

- any knife with a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or centrifugal force;

- any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: How long do i have to stay with my dad after i turn 18?

So i will turn 18 this summer and my dad will have custody of me and i don't like being there how long do i have to stay with him after i turn 18 do i have to stay all summer or after i turn 18 can i leave.

Vincent J. Bernabei answered on Sep 29, 2017

Once you reach age 18, you are considered an adult. Neither of your parents has custody of you. You can live wherever you want once you reach age 18. You should carefully consider your options before making your decision, and share your concerns with your father and others. This is a situation... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: What is the charge for a 17 year old girl that hits another girl with car and she doesn't die

Joanne Reisman answered on Aug 9, 2017

"What is the charge" - I assume you are concerned with what type of criminal charges could be brought - and no one is gong to be able tell you that. It depends whether a related crime was committed. Hitting someone could also be an accident in which case there are no criminal charges. For there... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: How to get my kids back from social services?

My boyfriend's brother girlfriend and mother have been trying to get our kids taken since we got here they finally succeed when I tried everything to keep my kids healthy and failed to the point she almost died not even medical professionals would help us help her. We had two ER visits one because... Read more »

Joanne Reisman answered on Jul 29, 2017

The social worker involved in the case will lay out a plan that you absolutely have to follow if you want your children back. You will be entitled to a court appointed lawyer when the matter is heard in the juvenile case which it should be shortly. But following the plan you are given is what you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: I am 17 and wont turn 18 until march 31st my dad kicked me out is there any way I can leave state

My dad kicked me out on April 20th I have been supporting myself I get food stamps and will be receiving my moms death benefits I really wanna go to California for a couple days with my bestfriend and her grandpa am I allowed to do that?

Joanne Reisman answered on May 30, 2017

I am going to make an educated guess that your dad kicked you out over some type of dispute concerning your behavior and your dad's house rules. My other educated guess is you moved in with your best friend and although you may have a job that earns you some income you aren't truly supporting... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Domestic Violence, Federal Crimes and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: Can my girlfriend file a restraining order against her mother's boyfriend?

My girlfriend (16) is currently living with her mother. Her mother recently got back together with her ex-boyfriend who cheated on her and abused the both of them for years. He also watched my girlfriend change her clothes when she was about 8 years old. He has recently been threatening to hit the... Read more »

Gregory L Abbott answered on May 1, 2017

Your girlfriend may or may not qualify for a restraining order against the boyfriend. If she is living with Mom and her boyfriend, and there are both credible threats of repeat violence she may qualify. One potential problem, though, is that she is underage and would need someone 18 or older to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Juvenile Law and Criminal Law for Oregon on

Q: I am 17 and my boyfriend is 20. He got me pregnant and my mom knows it was him she wants to put him in jail can she

I will not tell her it was really him or not but she thinks it was him

Joanne Reisman answered on Apr 2, 2017

First of all, is she just angry that you are pregnant or does she really want to throw your boyfriend, the father of her grand child, in jail, and possibly have him labeled as a sexual offender for the rest of his life? Maybe she just needs time to process what is going on and calm down.... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: What are my options in either hyphenating or changing my daughter's last name without my ex husband's consent?

When my daughter was born i was engaged to her father. It seemed only natural that she should have his last name. We got married and then within a year we divorced. I never took his name. I have full custody and he has limited parenting time which he has barely used. Cumulatively he's spent less... Read more »

Joanne Reisman answered on Feb 23, 2017

You can read Oregon's name change law here: It states that written notification must be sent to the other parent. It doesn't require that they consent. However, the implication is that once they get the notice they could file an objection. Given that... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on

Q: What would happen if i left my house 4 months before turning 18?

I'm 17 and currently living in clackamas county with my aunt and uncle who have league guardianship.

Vincent J. Bernabei answered on Jan 23, 2017

Legally, not much would happen. You would be cold and hungry unless you have some place to live and a job. If you are in public school, you can contact a counselor to arrange for free meals and public transportation. I suggest you patiently wait until you are 18, and then you can do whatever you... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.