Kitty Hawk, NC asked in Estate Planning, Foreclosure and Tax Law for North Carolina

Q: Are heirs responsible for the taxes on upside down property going to foreclosure? Estate has no assets.

Mother's house in NC had reverse mortgage that upon her death was/is WAY upside down. House is in preforeclosure now, hopefully soon to be in foreclosure. Got a Property Tax bill addressed to susieQ's Heirs. Are my brother and I liable for this tax? No assets. We would have to pay out of our own pockets. Should I/we recluse ourselves from property if reverse mortgage company drags their feet? Deed in Lieu route would have cost us money as well so we walked away.....

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI

A: You need a local attorney to explain to you why you do NOT want to be involved in the probate of this estate. If your name is not already on the property you do NOT have any responsibility for this, and it seems rather odd to me that a tax bill would be addressed to 'heirs' rather than the estate of ... have you already done something without benefit of counsel?

PLEASE talk with a local probate attorney to determine what is going on here!

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.