Atlanta, GA asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Georgia

Q: I have a valid retaliation claim against a Georgia Department of Corrections counselor.

This counselor wrote me a disciplinary report after I filed a grievance about an issue dealing with my confinement when I was incarcerated in the Georgia Department of Corrections. Because of this disciplinary report I was made to pay a $4.00 dollar fee and when I expressed interest in appealing it, I was sent to administrative segregation and was denied the paperwork to appeal the disciplinary report. I have recently been released from the Georgia Department of Corrections, however, I am still required to pay a fee for that disciplinary report. Will it be worth filing a civil suit under Title 42 U.S.C. 1983 claiming retaliation for filing a prisoner grievance, and denial of the right to appeal against the Georgia Department of Corrections officers responsible? Will there be any monetary award if I do prevail?

1 Lawyer Answer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: These are tough claims to support, because the 2nd George Bush administration pushed through a change to the once-powerful law that limits attorneys fees to the dollar amount of recovery. These damages would likely be de minimus, so no knowledgeable civil rights lawyer would spend hundreds of hours of time on such a case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.