South Ozone Park, NY asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law and Immigration Law for New York

Q: Is there any way that I can bring up abuse In the court if I didn't report it? I have pictures of my bruises.

I'm married to a permanent resident I'm here using my visitors visa and my spouse keeps hitting me. Is it possible to get my green card even if we divorce?

1 Lawyer Answer
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Scarsdale, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The answers are yes you can report him, in at least three different ways, and; as the law says now, you may still obtain permanent residency. You may file a complaint against him to do pleas as the law says now, you may still obtain permanent residency. You (or better your lawyer) may file a complaint against him to the police, directly to the DA Office or to The Family Court in the form of "Family Offense Petition". Based on the very limited facts I have i recommend the third option.

Please feel free to contact our office at +1 (914) 912-1555 or my cell at +1 (914) 364-6327 and I'll be happy to give you some free advice; if we decide you want to go forward with filing complaints against him and moving for your change of service our firm does a number of both of those types of cases at very low rates.

Good luck


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.