Newaygo, MI asked in Adoption and Family Law for Michigan

Q: My boyfriend wants to adopt my 5 yr old son

My boyfriend and i have been together for almost 3 yrs and he wants to adopt my son but the biological dad hadnt been around only met him once and has been in prison since 2012 how can we get his right terminated so he can adopt him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Colman
Neil Colman
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Clinton Township, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Once the adoption process begins the court or your attorney will handle the termination of parental rights as is required by law. However, the adoption cannot be accomplished, or the process begun, unless the two of you marry. Then the courts generally want the parties' to be at least 1 year. Some will proceed after 6 months of marriage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.