Rockwell, NC asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina

Q: My landlord sold the property and I did not sign a new lease at the beginning of the yr. Can I get evicted?

Like if I'm behind on rent and I didn't resign my lease what can the new landlord do

1 Lawyer Answer
Will Blackton
Will Blackton
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If you previously signed a one year lease which has expired, you are likely a month-to-month holdover tenant. The landlord can give you notice that they intend to terminate your month-to-month lease. If you don't move out, the new landlord can then evict you. Alternatively, if you have not paid rent, it's likely that the landlord can begin evicting you immediately. In North Carolina, the eviction process takes about a month from when landlord files in court to when tenant is removed from the premises.

If you'd like to continue living at that property, you could bring a check for all past-due rent to your new landlord and ask to sign a new lease.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.