College Park, MD asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Massachusetts

Q: I'd like to know in your professional opionion what I should do with a criminal case in Maryland.

On October 18th, 2013 I failed to appear in court in Worcester county for a small possession charge (less than .2 grams. I was smoking a joint the summer of 2013 when I was stopped by officers who confiscated a small joint roach (the end of the joint) and arrested me on the spot. I failed to appear in court for my final court date. On Friday August 11th 2017 I was stopped at a weigh station (I'm a truck driver) in Maryland and taken to jail to be processed and told I would need to appear in Worcester county to take care of this matter. It's been 4 years since this happened but I'm worried that such a small offense will be taken more serious because of the time lapse. Could I face jail time for that small of an offense ? Should I hire a personal lawyer & also does it matter that marijuana was substantially decriminalized in your state since then ? I'm 24 years old and this happened when I was just a young adult. Since I am drug free & have no had any other legal issues. Please help me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ismail Mohammed
Ismail Mohammed
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Good afternoon,

If the possession is for under an ounce of marijuana, the case should be dismissed. I would suggest you call an attorney in Massachusetts. You will have to appear in court to get the default removed and hopefully have the case dismissed the same day. You will not be able to renew your license, if it's a MA license if you still have a warrant.

Ismail Mohammed, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.