Elk Grove Village, IL asked in Criminal Law and Employment Law for Wisconsin

Q: Can a civil suit for intentional tort with an employer turn criminal based on the dollar amount (fraud)?

civil suit is between employer and employee...employee stole money and the employer was granted full judgement of over $94K

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Pleck Johnson
Stephen Pleck Johnson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sturgeon Bay, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: I can only answer for Wisconsin. Theft is a crime and the amount affects whether it is a misdemeanor or a felony. The answer is yes as the state District Attorney is not a party to the civil suit and can file a Criminal Complaint. The Civil Judgment does not by itself block a criminal prosecution. This is a general answer based on very limited information. It could change based on additional data.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.