Orlando, FL asked in Libel & Slander, Personal Injury, Contracts and Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: I had to clean up hazardous debris on a puece of rental property. Owner refused to do it. Now owner claims it was a gift

My dog was horrifically injured requiring 13 stables and a puncture wound. Property owner had no insurance. Did pay vet bill. Property owner still refused to correct the problem. I cleaned up and removed the debris. Property owner watched while I did it. Property owner stated she worked smart not hard. She had 2 friends watching too. I presented her a bill for 6 hours of hard labor. She laughed in my face and said rhis is a gift. You did this for me because you wanted too. I say No. I did this to keep my dog safe and you refused too! Is this theft of services? How can this be legal. I am a 64 year ild widow with plates and screws in my back. She is much younger.

1 Lawyer Answer
William C. Head
William C. Head
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sandy Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you had an AGREEMENT, you could take the property owner to small claims court, to enforce the agreement. The type of claim, if any, that you had, is called quantum meruit, and has to be taken in a court of equity. For most courts in America, that filing fee would greatly exceed you bill.

I'd try to move, to a place where my landlord was not a cruel, sadistic person.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.