Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Georgia Contracts Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: Is a marriage legal if one of the spouses lied on the marriage license?

The details are the number of times the other spouse was married and the other spouse has the wrong last name on the licenses.

My daughter in law has been married three other times, when they filled out for the marriage licenses she didn’t use her legal last name of her third husband, she... Read more »

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV answered on Nov 13, 2020

What was it that the person lied about? We would need more information than this, as this is vague. The marriage may still be legal, but we’d need more details about what the lie was regarding. You could contact the county clerk to inquire about the legality of the license.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: Do tenants have a legal right to receive a receipt for paid rent in Georgia? Because I'm having issues with management
Seth Meyerson
Seth Meyerson answered on Oct 15, 2020

As long as you do not pay with cash you should have a record of your payment.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Civil Rights and Securities Law for Georgia on
Q: We purchased our house in 2008, only to find there's a breech of contract—title NOT free of encumbrances.

We discovered in 2016 our house was foreclosed back in 2011 by the bank that issued our builder's loan. This has robbed us access to our equity and the consideration upon signing the contract to begin with. We are still living in the house. Is the contract void? What are our rights?

Seth Meyerson
Seth Meyerson answered on Oct 8, 2020

I think we talked about this one at some length.

1. Figure out what a third-party bank thinks is wrong with your title, if anything. -- Title insurance issue.

2. What were the terms of the modification that you signed? Were there misrepresentations made to you to induce your...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Bankruptcy for Georgia on
Q: can i buy a cemetery polt if I am in bankrupcy in Georgia
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Sep 28, 2020

Depends on what chapter bankruptcy.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Products Liability for Georgia on
Q: can a used car dealership sign an e contract on my behalf and without my knowledge and without my consent?

Shouldn’t I have been able to agree to my e-signatures by wet ink agreement or email correspondence prior to e- contract upload?

In addition, is it possible to e-sign a contract without an signature pad or access to the dealership’s computer?

Thank you

Seth Meyerson
Seth Meyerson answered on Sep 28, 2020

If this is true and you can convince a judge, then the contract would be unenforceable.

E signatures are good signatures so long as valid.

What is Possible is an excessively big space.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Divorce and Legal Malpractice for Georgia on
Q: Is there an Law Firm that specializes in Void Judgement.??

I have a case that has many faces: active divorce Since 2016, proposed settlement presented July 8, 2016, final judgment on July 14, 2016, after mediation and consent order signed by judge Feb 9, 2016. My X bringing contempt charges for incurring debt on credit cards. It was mutual and nothing was... Read more »

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV answered on Sep 17, 2020

You may want to call the state bar to inquire about an attorney that would specialize in this type of case. They maybe able to refer you to someone. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia on
Q: How can you get the parent off of the birth certificate if its been 5 years abandonment ?

legally the father had is name changed around the time my son was born but he never changed it on his license so he signed the birth certificate using his old name. Can the birth certificate be voided because thats a legal document that he purposely lied on. I don't want to go to court but I... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Sep 11, 2020

You can't take a father off the birth certificate. You can apply to the court for a name change for your son.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Construction Law for Georgia on
Q: Can I use a POA to handle an insurance claim?

I’m a roofing contractor in Georgia that specializes in storm damage to an insureds property. Can I use a power of attorney to represent the insured during the claim process to include negotiating policy provisions?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 16, 2020

A Georgia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. As a general observation of such an arrangement, some might see the potential for a conflict. For instance, you if are negotiating for the approval of a certain construction task or repair task, could someone... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Georgia on
Q: I purchased a dog in Georgia. I paid 3000 I realized I’m to busy for a pet so I wanted to rehome him I was advised that

I couldn’t because I was only partial owner and I would have to give him back. I request only 2500 of my money back they agreed to give it back after I give them the dog back. Now I can’t get in touch. I had the dog for 5 day 3 of which I stayed in Georgia with him

Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Jul 18, 2020

I’m not sure I understand the question. If you have to give the dog back to the breeders, then you should do it so that way he can be rehomed safely to someone who can actually care for and about him.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Personal Injury and Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: What rights do i have renting a room in a private residence?

We had entered an agreement that i would be working from home and now its been 2 months of heavy loud construction here and my quality of life has significantly diminished. Also ive recently found out i likely have a disability being unable to process high volumes of sensory input and before the... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 2, 2020

I'm sorry for your ordeal. A Georgia attorney would be in the best position to advise, but your post remains open for two weeks. The things that you describe, in terms of construction noise or clocks, are really more in the territory of a landlord-tenant attorney than a personal injury... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law and Foreclosure for Georgia on
Q: I posted bond for some one, can I get that back?

How a would go about getting my bond money back?

Lance Mixon
Lance Mixon answered on Apr 25, 2020

Multiple issues control this. First, is the case over yet. If so, then yes.

In still pending, on misdemeanor cases, after 12 months, you can ask the court to release you as surety.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Personal Injury for Georgia on
Q: Can an inmate be held in prison without an institutional file? If no what kind of lawyer would one need?

Inmates institutional file was lost and he can not take classes he need to take to parole out because of this.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 6, 2020

What kind of lawyer? A criminal lawyer would be the best bet. You could try reposting your question there (and leave off Contracts and Personal Injury), you could try contacting a lawyer you find here or on your own, or you could see if the State Bar of Georgia has resources that might be helpful.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: I have a lease on a home that expires March 2022. The landlord wants to sell the house. Can he do that?

There is no clause in my lease regarding landlord terminating lease early

Paula J. Mcgill
Paula J. Mcgill answered on Mar 26, 2020

Yes, the landlord can sell the property,


the new landlord takes subject to your current lease. That means he steps into the shoes of your landlord.

I assume there isn't a sale provision in the lease that allows the purchaser to terminate the lease.

3 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Divorce and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: Mywife agreedyears agoandinApril 2019 tohaveourlocations tracked, phone calls recorded.Its discussedoften ntext.nowdeny

It is discussed multiple times since 2013-2014. Close to Christmas time she tells me via text: “GO check the tape if you dont believe me”. I go back to her numerous times over the next several days-week, asking her if that is really what she wants me to do. I remind her, just a few months... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Mar 22, 2020

She doesn't have to leave the house just because you ask her to. If you want a divorce, consult with a divorce attorney about your options.

--Regina Edwards | | 770.854.0777

Fair, Flat Fees Only - No Hourly Billing

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: What are a tenant's options for terminating a commercial lease or reducing rent during the Corona pandemic?


We are small business owners. My wife and I operate a gift shop in Savannah with no employees. The building was recently purchased and our rent increased by 80% in February. We signed a 3 year lease. That lease does not have any option for termination by tenant.

In the last... Read more »

Gregory Byrnes
Gregory Byrnes answered on Mar 19, 2020

You should look at the terms of the lease. Provisions that may be helpful are "Force Majeure", condemnation, and casualty.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Contracts and Criminal Law for Georgia on
Q: Nearly three years ago, my sibling agreed to put a vehicle in their name, i make payments. They refinanced w/o my knowin

I haven't any receipts of this other than bank transactions to them, insurance the whole time, dozens of witnesses.

The contract stated there would be 36 fixed payments of $X, however, about 12 months in, I was requested to bring the vehcile to the finance comany for an inspection.... Read more »

Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw answered on Feb 22, 2020

It is best to contact an attorney. Your best recourse may be to sue for breach of contract. Contact an attorney who can assist you with the specifics of your circumstances.

We are glad to assist you. Contact us whenever you are ready.

I wish you well.

-The Upshaw Law...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Business Formation and Business Law for Georgia on
Q: I want to join network marketing company using my LLC. The wording seems to say that I can only use my legal name.

Are they talking about my name or the LLC name on its paperwork?

Here are the details:

“ Individuals or entities may only register as IBOs using legal names. An IBO cannot be signed up or registered with a fictitious business name.”

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Feb 15, 2020

If you cannot understand what this very simple language means you really should employ a small business lawyer before you get yourself into real trouble. Answer: You can ONLY use your REAL name--or the REAL name of your LLC, or the REAL name of a corporation, or partnership, or limited partnership... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: Can a landlord require me to purchase a whole year of renters insurnance mid-lease, when original lease didn't require?

My landlord is trying to make me sign an addendum to agree to get renter's insurance, for a full year, and my lease started in August, with no mention that renters is required, it strictly states that "renter's insurance is not mandatory, but we do encourage you to obtain it to cover... Read more »

Paula J. Mcgill
Paula J. Mcgill answered on Feb 5, 2020

If the lease did not originally required it, the next section you have to look at are amendments and notice. Is there a section in your lease that allows the landlord to amend the lease with notice. If not, than I don't see how he can do it. However, you may want to take the lease to an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Business Law and Communications Law for Georgia on
Q: ISP suddenly stopped providing a product that we still pay for. Did they breach the contract?

Before I joined my company, they signed a multi-year service agreement with an Internet Service Provider that I think we should no longer use. When looking at the early termination terms, we would owe over $7,000 for the remaining 23 months. So, in an effort to not cancel service but change... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Feb 4, 2020

Possibly. It's difficult to analyze without the details. It may not let you out of the contract entirely but you could likely get some credit of offset.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Products Liability and Car Accidents for Georgia on
Q: Can I be sued

I sold a car to a friend but the deal was the title would remain in my name until he paid it off. I just found out he has been driving the vehicle uninsured and he has had an at-fault wreck involving other vehicles with injuries. Can I be sued?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Feb 3, 2020

Yes, for sure. There may be a way to get out of the coming lawsuit--but you will need a really good lawyer to try it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.