Pell City, AL asked in Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for Alabama

Q: In 1998 I had emergency surgery to repair a serious injury to the left side of my face requiring approx 220 stitches

And 4 titanium plates,during this surgery a piece of surgical material was left in me. Do I have the ability to attempt to receive compensation. Can supply more details if needed. The surgeon believed he left no such materials (sponge of some type) and his solution was to refer me to a psychiatrist which I still see. Also there was need for a second surgery in 2000 to remove large lump (growth?) Under eye on same side as injury. No other Dr in bham would attempt to treat me and only referred me back to original surgeon. This episode, which continues to this day has destroyed many years of my life but I really want to know is there an avenue to pursue damages. Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Contact a member of the Ala Trial Lawyers Assn who handles medical cases. If the surgery found a foreign object you may have a case, if it didn't I don't see a case but you should still get the consult.

Big problem you run into is the statute of limitations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.