Westerville, OH asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Michigan

Q: Is parent with visitation supposed to provide a separate bedroom in their home to be kept for only when child visits?

My partner is from Michigan but lives in Ohio. We have a 3 bedroom home and a 3 year old daughter. Our spare room is an office/playroom because my job requires me to have my own personal work space (I do billing and data entry from home 25-32 hours a week). Since my daughter is 3 it is half a play room so that I can work and still keep and eye on her.

My partner has a 10 year old son that resides full time with his ex in Michigan, he goes up to Michigan (per visitation order) 2 weekends a month and stays at his mothers (partners mother) home where his son is dropped off for visitation.

For a week in summer and Christmas his ex agrees to meet halfway and lets him stay at our home. She found out we turned the spare room into my office and now refuses to let him visit because we no longer have an entire spare room set aside for him. We have a spare twin bed to set up and i cosleep with our daughter. We can put the spare bed in with my partner or the office But she says it isn't legal

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The child needs a suitable place to sleep. Whether the office / spare room is suitable is a question of fact. From what you're telling us, and unless the parenting time order specifies something, I don't see how your setup would be "illegal".

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.