Los Angeles, CA asked in Probate and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: I live in a rent controlled unit in Los Angeles for 25 years. The owner has passed away & the home is going into probate

We have been paying his son in person every month for rent, but no executor info has been given to us since his death. We have no address for the son. Who should we continue to pay our rent to until probate settles ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Priscilla Ann Madrid
Priscilla Ann Madrid
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You need to continue to pay your rent, get a receipt if you are paying in cash. You should send a check or cashier's check to the person or entity your rental agreement requires you to pay. Otherwise the executor of the estate has a claim for past due rents against you and can evict you. A new owner, or the son if he is the beneficiary, may just carry on the business. Contact legal aid in your area if you need more information.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.