San Diego, CA asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for California

Q: How do I become the legal representative of my deceased mother so I can handle her affairs?

My mother passed away suddenly with no will and no one named as a power of attorney. My brother named himself executor of her estate to handle the funeral and burial details but has now gone back to Idaho and I am left with handling the rest of her affairs. I am finding that I have no legal standing to do this. What do I need to be able to close accounts, pay bills, break her lease, ect.? Her estate was worth less than $150,000 so we did not go to probate.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Lee Valentine Jr
Fred Lee Valentine Jr
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Ontario, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You need to go to court to be appointed the representative for the estate. If you want to discuss, please send me an email.

The information presented herein is for general purposes only. It is not intended for, and may not be construed as legal, tax, or accounting advice, or business solicitation, or create any Attorney-Client relationship. For specific advice, please consult an attorney in person.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.